SEO – 12 Common Mistakes to Avoid Or Else
If you want to rank well in the search engines for your chosen keywords, you need to understand some of the most common mistakes that you should avoid:
- If you buy a karate class in your town, you will not need to buy a karate belt, and you will not need to buy lots of different things to achieve top listings. It will not even cost you one red tantrum or a used car!
- If you are looking for a way to get your new website crawled and indexed by the search engines, you will probably find that submitting your URL to the search engines for free is the very best way to go. This will also provide you with a high search engine ranking for your keywords with no other effort on your part. I have personally finished sites in less than four hours using this method.
- You must use HTML. Learning how to code HTML is not difficult. If you have a text editor you can do it in no time! The real challenge is finding a website that will allow you to save your HTML and Text documents so you can work with HTML code on different web pages on the same server. Find some free website editors.
- You need to get links from sites with high PageRank.PageRank is a fancy term used to rate the quality of a website. If a page has a high page ranking, that means the company or website it is on is very valuable. You can find the PageRank for each site by visiting a page that is relevant to your niche and checking the PageRank on the page that shows up when you are checking the link popularity of the website.
- Do not put keywords or phrases in your keywords tag. This is worthless advice! Really! I have seen sites pop up in Google just because someone put keywords in the keywords tag. Ummm, was that a URL? Another thing, you will be surprised how hard it is to rank highly for these keywords, even though they have nothing to do with your website. People are going to put keywords in the keywords tag because they want to rank well in Google. Ignore it!
- Choose a domain name that relates to your keyword, it should flow better if keywords are in the URL. This is another waste of time. Sure you want people to find your site using your keywords, but will it convert to sales? Not likely.o Use keywords for ALT tags on your images. Search Engines cannot understand the images on your site, they have no idea how to work out the keywords. Avoid this at all costs. Always ensure that you have written a keyword-rich ALT text for your images.
- Building a network of links and social media is a great way to get your site out there. I am sure you have heard it before or might have tried it yourself. But building a network of links and using social media to get more traffic to your site is a great way to get more visibility. It’s free, easy and it can be done in a few hours a week.
- There is no “fast” way to optimize a website, it takes time, effort, and patience. Patience is the most important thing you need to bear with you when doing SEO. It is also important to be very clear about what your website is about and make sure that it is written in a way that will make it clear to the users. Search engines have evolved and they are far more sophisticated than unprofessional but how you write a web page can mean the difference between making a sale and losing it to a competitor.
- Do not assume keywords are all used and they should be deleted. You should have about 5-15 keywords on which you want to optimize your site.
- Pay attention to your on-page optimization. Focus on your h1 tag, title, description, and at least one of the image alt tags. There is much debate on the effectiveness of using alt tags alone, but in my opinion, I still wouldn’t use it, and I would make sure that alt tags contain the keywords you want to optimize the pages for.
- Create compelling content for SEO. If you want to optimize your website for search engines, you have to create compelling content for your readers. There is no point in writing unique and interesting content if you are not maximizing the opportunities for it to rank high in the search results.
- Link to other related sites. When linking to other related sites, it is important to avoid linking to nonrelated sites. If you have a good network of related sites, you can make use of this to make your site look more important to the search engines.